Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

Articles > Building Your Community > Could you gather 53 companies in your school sports hall for a careers event?

Could you gather 53 companies in your school sports hall for a careers event?

As part of Bishop Vesey’s Grammar School recent careers fair, I got to take part in the Tech industry panel discussion. With contributors from Tech giants such as Google and IBM, I was there to champion a smaller player in the industry: the start-up.

Working at a Tech start-up means you get plenty of responsibility and opportunities to share your ideas. You also have to be prepared to help out in different areas of the business. At ToucanTech, I’ve been tasked with conducting training webinars, attending conferences and writing blog posts. I really enjoy the flexibility of the job – some days I get to travel around the country meeting clients, other days I can work at home (in my pyjamas if I wish!).

It was a pleasure to meet the other speakers on the Tech industry panel. Most were Old Veseyans, back at school to share their experience – I was impressed by the level of goodwill from past pupils to help current students, many of whom return repeatedly to careers and networking events organised by BVGS’s energetic Development Director, Brian Davies 




It was clear from attending the careers fair that Tech is an increasingly popular career path among students at Bishop Vesey’s Grammar School. My top tip for attendees was that there are great opportunities for career progression at a start-up – you just need to research the potential companies as they won’t have a big HR team or a recruitment page. Joining a small, energetic team and growing with them can be exciting and rewarding – a very different experience to joining a big company where decisions and change tend to be slower.

We ran a survey with 20 students attending the event and interestingly 52% said they don’t have a clear idea of what career they’d like to pursue and the other 48% were interested in computing, technology, astronomy, maths and medicine.




John is a Community Manager at ToucanTech – he works with ToucanTech clients to help populate their alumni websites with interesting news, events and resources, to build community engagement. John is a Film Studies graduate from King’s College London and drank three cups of Yorkshire Tea writing this












 

Similar stories

Highlights from the recent webinar on connecting with alumni, including tips & examples for getting back in touch and maintaining engagement More...

Caterham School presents on how bringing their whole school community together through events and experiences led to an … More...

Run an internal website review to check whether your website is up to scratch; providing you with efficient tools and of… More...

A round up of 'Getting strategic about advancement goals' with Joe Connolly, education advancement consultant More...

Hear from the development team at Concord College on the ups and downs of delivering a programme of virtual engagement f… More...

Speak to ToucanTech

Have questions about something you've read in this article? Message the ToucanTech team

Please enter first name
Please enter last name
Please enter email
Please enter message
Submit

Most read

In 2020, Blackrock College Union launched their new online alumni community, and it's already become a hive of activity! More...

Your database is what you make of it: how can you use the software you have to store and report on the right information More...

Highlights from the recent webinar on connecting with alumni, including tips & examples for getting back in touch and maintaining engagement More...

This website is powered by
ToucanTech